TALLAHASSEE - Today, Progress Florida, Florida Watch Action and America Votes recognized 22 members of the Florida Legislature as "Champions of Florida's Middle Class" for their unwavering support on behalf of Florida's working families. During the 2011 legislative session, these 22 lawmakers voted 100% in support of the middle class, and championed a range of issues from job creation, to support for public schools, to environmental protection and more.
"In an environment where virtually every issue of importance to middle class families was under attack by Gov. Rick Scott and legislative leaders carrying the water for corporate lobbyists, the courage of these heroes for the middle class has not gone unnoticed," said Mark Ferrulo, executive director of Progress Florida.
The 2011 Champions of Florida's Middle Class are:
- Sen. Arthenia Joyner (Tampa)
- Sen. Nan Rich (Sunrise)
- Rep. Lori Berman (Delray Beach)
- Rep. Dwight Bullard (Cutler Bay)
- Rep. Jeff Clemens (Lake Worth)
- Rep. Janet Cruz (Tampa)
- Rep. Joe Gibbons (Pembroke Park)
- Rep. Evan Jenne (Fort Lauderdale)
- Rep. Martin "Marty" Kiar (Parkland)
- Rep. Rick Kriseman (St. Petersburg)
- Rep. Mark Pafford (West Palm Beach)
- Rep. Ari Porth (Coral Springs)
- Rep. Scott Randolph (Orlando)
- Rep. Michelle Rehwinkel Vasilinda (Tallahassee)
- Rep. Franklin Sands (Plantation)
- Rep. Elaine Schwartz (Hollywood)
- Rep. Irving "Irv" Slosberg (Boca Raton)
- Rep. Cynthia Stafford (Miami)
- Rep. Richard Steinberg (Miami Beach)
- Rep. Geraldine Thompson (Orlando)
- Rep. Perry Thurston, Jr. (Fort Lauderdale)
- Rep. Alan Williams (Tallahassee)
"Pink Slip Rick Scott and his puppets in the legislative leadership have declared war on Florida's middle class," said Susannah Randolph, executive director of Florida Watch Action," but 22 legislators stood unwavering in their support of Florida families and communities. They deserve to be recognized."
Votes considered of import to Florida's middle class families included opposing the Job-Killing Budget (SB 2000), opposing the Voter Suppression Bill (SB 2086/HB 1355), opposing the Polluter Protection Bill (SB 1382/HB 993), opposing the intrusive Ultrasound Bill (SB 1744/HB 1127), opposing efforts to funnel Medicaid recipients into private for-profit HMOs (SB 1972/HB 7107, 7109), opposing the anti-union Worker Gag Bill (SB 830/HB 1021), opposing efforts to cut benefits for unemployed Floridians (HB 7005), opposing the Growth Mismanagement Bill (SB 2156/HB 7207) and opposing efforts to further defund public schools (SB 1388/HB 965).
Florida Watch Action is a statewide organization that works with progressive groups to provide a unified voice on the issues that matter most to Floridians. Visit us at www.FloridaWatchAction.org.
Progress Florida is the state's largest netroots organization and works toward building a more progressive Florida. Learn more at www.ProgressFlorida.org.
America Votes works with over 300 state and national partner organizations to advance progressive policies, expand access to the ballot, coordinate issue advocacy and election campaigns, and protect every American's right to vote. To learn more visit www.AmericaVotes.org.